[TriLUG] OT - number of circuits needed

Matthew Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Jul 16 12:31:44 EDT 2008

Dell used to have a excel spreadsheet that would help, you could pick
the number of each servers and it would calculate power and hvac.
Looks like it is replaced with this: http://tinyurl.com/etqv2  The
Dell tech specs tab does list the power supply wattage, which should
be enough to guesstimate on.

Generally you only want to load a circuit to about 80% capacity.  With
300 watt power supplies that works out to about 7-8 300 watt power
supplies to a 20 amp circuit.   The formula for accurately doing this
escapes me, maybe someone else will respond before I have time to
google it.  But basically you want to figure out your power draw.
Almost all manufacturer's will have this in the devices specs.

Matt P.