[TriLUG] 1394 card for a Linux box

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Thu Nov 20 14:31:24 EST 2008

Joe,

I am happy we have Intrex in the area ( I go to the Old Wake Forest
Road location). Compared to Tiger Direct a couple miles away, Intrex
has more of what I want at prices better than Tiger Direct and more
knowledgeable reps.

I don't know of a situation at Intrex where they have told me that "It
should work with Linux". If it doesn't say compatible with Linux on
the box, they don't offer any extra knowledge by "supposing".  Most of
their reps know windows and don't really deal with Linux enough to
know.

It would be nice if we had a "Fry's electronics" in Raleigh, but don't
think that will happen in my lifetime. Looks like the nearest fry's is
in Georgia.

On the 1394 card issue, I purchased one at Intrex and it worked
perfectly. I had a motherboard failure. Replaced the motherboard with
a newer one and my 1394 card didn't work with it. Could there be other
factors other than the card itself??

Wish I knew more about computers :-)

jcj

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
>> Intrex carries add-on 1394 cards.  Go to
>> http://www.intrex.com/parts/parts.aspx and select
>> "Interface Cards" then "I/O Cards".  A 4 port PCI 1394
>> card is listed as $10.99 before the TriLUG discount.
>
> I'd forgotten about the TriLUG discount.
>
> IEEE1394 is more standardised than is USB and most cards
> should work with Linux. There is a page on the Linux
> IEEE1394 devel website showing the hardware status of
> various cards/chipsets.
>
> However Intrex doesn't attempt to determine if their
> hardware is Linux compatible - they usually say "it should
> work with Linux, if it doesn't bring it back and we'll
> refund the money". They always say "it should work with
> Linux", when they obviously have no idea.
>
> I've bought both USB and IEEE1394 PCI cards from Intrex.
> They all are some brand I've never heard of, but contain
> recognisable chipsets. Some of them work with Linux and some
> of them don't. I remember once after finding a USB card that
> worked coming back shortly thereafter (maybe a week later)
> to buy 3 more. When I got them home, although the box was
> the same, the cards were obviously different and didn't work
> with Linux. Intrex refunded the money, which was nice, but
> it was a bit of a nuisance.
>
> I can't imagine with the fairly limited range of hardware
> they carry, that a sample of each couldn't be tested out on
> a dual boot machine, before hanging it on the wall. I talked
> to the manager about this once day to find he has no say in
> the hardware they carry. Someone higher up handles that.
>
> Joe

> jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
> generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
> Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!

Jc Jones
Blogs -