[TriLUG] "IP Passthrough" and AT&T 1-Wire

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sun Mar 15 16:42:49 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 03:53:11PM -0400, Rob Lockhart wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 14:36, Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:
>
> > That's an interesting thought.  My issue is a ( 25? ) year-old house
> > with the original telephone wiring, among other things.  When the tech
> > came out, he plugged into the box on the outside of the house and
> > measured between 3.5 and 4 Mbps with a "very good" noise factor.
> > Inside, where the modem is attached, he was just barely 3, with an
> > "adequate" noise value.  Aside from rewiring things ( which is in the
> > plan ), his suggestion was replacing the box with one that he had on his
> > truck.
> >
> I don't know why this is so hard to find, but your best bet is to use a NID
> filter and use one of the unused pairs of wires in your house.  Throw those

I also found it referred to as a NID Splitter or DSL Splitter.  VERY
inexpensive, considering what it does for me.  That, combined with the
new CAT-5 cable run from there across to the DSL modem should help
matters considerably.

This makes my original question much less critical, although I would
still appreciate some guidance there.

Thank you,
Brian