[TriLUG] Your State of Practice for Backups?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sun Apr 19 12:17:37 EDT 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 3:55 PM, Alan Porter wrote:

>> I had to trick rsnapshot a bit by putting another uid 0 user on
>> some of my boxes that I wanted to do full system backups.
>
> On my systems that are backed up using backuppc, I set up a normal
> user called 'backuppc' that has the server's key in it's .ssh/
> authorized_keys file. And then I add one line to the client's
> sudoers file:
>
> backuppc ALL = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rsync
>
> I feel a little better about that, than creating a second uid=0 user.
>
> Alan

Yeah I wasn't thrilled about it, but it did resolve my issue.  For a
little more detail, when I tried to just use root with an ssh key,
rsnapshot had issues b/c it wanted to start out in root's home dir /
root and thus I had trouble backing up starting at / (slash).  So the
second UID 0 user had it's home dir set to / with the ssh authorized
keys in /.ssh/authorized keys.  This was a cheap and dirty hack around
my problem.  Had I had more time I may have found an alternate and
more secure solution.  I didn't like it but it worked for what I needed.

Matt P.