[TriLUG] controller causing read errors?

William Chandler wcchandler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:21:18 EST 2011

Also note that SMART doesn't work on USB devices (last time I checked, over
2 years ago.)  How's the cooling situation in the case?  Try to make sure
it's not overheating if possible.  Are the Hard Drives fairly large?  What's
the vendor/firmware?  Are they connected to a RAID array?  What filesystem
are you using?  Are you passing any specific arguments?  How often are they
failing?  SSD or Platter?  You can also look on your machine for bulging
capicators -- they may be sending incorrect voltages to your devices (crazy,
but possible.)