[TriLUG] How young is too young for linux-ish training?

Joel J. Adamson joeljamesadamson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:37:52 EDT 2011

"Brian Henning" <bhenning at pineinst.com> writes:

> If you didn't play recordings of RMS and Linus Torvalds to him in the womb,
> you're already behind!

I came pretty close with my son: when I was working pretty hard at
learning about programming (making up for lost time), my older son was
1.5 yrs old and my wife was pregnant with our second one (now 3).  I
would get up early in the morning and watch the Abelson-Sussman SICP
Lectures[1], and often my wife and son would join me after about 30
mins.  Quincy seemed to enjoy the funny guys with the chalk ;)  Pretty
soon after that I started showing him Unix history videos on Youtube.
He's pretty much set as a nerd for life (we'll see...).

Joel

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.archive.org/details/StructuredInterpretationOfComputerProgramsLecture5a

--
Joel J. Adamson
Servedio Lab -- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Please use my new gmail address: <joeljamesadamson at gmail.com>