[TriLUG] How young is too young for linux-ish training?

Edwin Castillo edwin at wiredbytes.com
Thu Sep 1 09:34:01 EDT 2011

My 7 year old son has a wordpress site and I help him edit it when he is up
to it. I even have my wife put comments up there to get him motivated.

Teaching a 7 year old is a fickle thing. One day we are doing Story Telling
Alice http://www.alice.org/kelleher/storytelling/index.html, the next day we
are creating batch files that ask silly questions about his 4 year old
brother and the next day we are fixing old RC cars.

You have to be versatile. My son can stick to something for a week at most
and than be bored with it. I just continue looking for new things. I'm
constantly picking up clues from sites like instructables.com and Make
magazine http://makezine.com/. I'm always looking for myself, but when I
find a part he can help with I make him a part of it.

Don't give up if he drops that interest. Just look for another thing.

Regards,
Edwin Castillo, KK4DDM

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Joel J. Adamson <joeljamesadamson at gmail.com