[TriLUG] Presentation software for TriLUG meetings

Mitchell Amiano mamiano at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 13:16:59 EDT 2012

One way to improve the visual quality is to avoid using bullet lists; for instance, Assertion-Evidence style* uses one or a few visual components to illustrate the evidence in support of an assertion which is stated as a bit of narrative at the top of the slide.  It is very visual, and better aligned with telling a story and making an argument. Here is a reference with models and templates (<http://www.writing.engr.psu.edu/slides.html>)
and a link to a book (<http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Scientific-Presentations-Critical-Succeed/dp/0387955550>)

For tools…
Prezi is another approach. Prezi is an online browser accessed service in which you lay out your talking points and images on a single surface and then navigate around them in a storyboard manner. It makes your presentation akin to a kinetic typography animation. The interface and path linking strategy can be much more time consuming than simple slides, but the results can be impressive.

JessyInk (<http://code.google.com/p/jessyink/>) tries to provide functionality similar to Prezi, but using Inkscape as the editing interface, and deploying to your hosting as SVG with javascript. An example is here: (< http://www.w3.org/2009/Talks/socialweb-dhm/socialweb.svg >)

Reel (<http://www.reelapp.com/>) is a SaaS intended to make it easier to collect feedback. It doesn't look like it does anything to help the authoring process, but it may be useful for collecting responses.

- Mitch
* THX to Daun Demon, English professor at NCSU, for pointing this style out.