[TriLUG] Presentation software for TriLUG meetings

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Apr 7 14:17:09 EDT 2012

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:16:59 -0400
Mitchell Amiano <mamiano at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> One way to improve the visual quality is to avoid using bullet lists;
> for instance, Assertion-Evidence style* uses one or a few visual
> components to illustrate the evidence in support of an assertion
> which is stated as a bit of narrative at the top of the slide.  It is
> very visual, and better aligned with telling a story and making an
> argument. Here is a reference with models and templates
> (<http://www.writing.engr.psu.edu/slides.html>) and a link to a book
> (<http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Scientific-Presentations-Critical-Succeed/dp/0387955550>)

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you very much for informing me of the existence of
Assertion-Evidence structure within a presentation. After reading your
links and a few others, I made an Assertion-Evidence
Troubleshooting slideshow for Bar Camp Orlando.

Although it's true that pictures, diagrams and charts make excellent
evidence sections, I don't think Assertion-Evidence rules out bullet
points, always assuming the bullet points are evidence and not more
random information. My presentation had mostly pictures and diagrams
accompanied by very short text, the text not being in bullet points.

From the presentation I just made, it seems to me that:

1) Assertion-Evidence results in less slides
2) Assertion-Evidence takes a much longer time to author

My Bar Camp Orlando presentation is one week from today. I'll let you
know how it goes.

Thanks again for this great information.

SteveT