[TriLUG] recommendations for hosted telephone service

Franklin Moody fmoody at moodman.org
Tue Jul 24 16:05:56 EDT 2012

On 7/24/2012 3:26 PM, Bill Farrow wrote:
> At home we use CallCentric.com for our SIP provider with a dial-in
> number (DID), voicemail is sent to our email addresses as an mp3, and
> all calls are charged by the minute. Our fixed monthly cost is $3.50
> for the dial-in number which includes the e911 fee.  When you include
> our incoming and outgoing calls, we pay about $10 month for the home
> phone.
>
> The hardware is simple. A small $35 Linksys PAP2 or PAP2T box is
> connected via an ethernet switch to our TWC modem, and the phone jack
> is connected to a cordless phone base station.  That's it, no messing
> with firewalls, computers, etc.  Very high Wife Acceptance Factor
> (WAF).
>
> This has worked so well, I have helped 3 friends deploy the same setup
> at their homes.
>
> Bill

	Just to chime in on the hardware, I picked up a Obihai Obi110 recently
and it seems to be doing fairly well from both a hardware and a software
point of view.  I'm just using Google Voice at the moment as it was
painless and quick to set up.  I plan on using Callcentric for it as
well, but haven't gotten around to setting that up...  And have been
fairly happy with just calling in and out over GVoice so far.

(Callcentric is still in the plans and would be side by side with the
GVoice integration (apparently). But limited time and nearly no pain so
far means less incentive...)

Frank