[TriLUG] recommendations for hosted telephone service

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Tue Jul 24 15:26:28 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Keith Woodie <kwoodie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to the VOIP world... can you describe the setup that you have
> for callwithus?  I currently have Time Warner's VOIP and have
> considered moving to a more self-run solution that provided some cost
> savings.

At home we use CallCentric.com for our SIP provider with a dial-in
number (DID), voicemail is sent to our email addresses as an mp3, and
all calls are charged by the minute. Our fixed monthly cost is $3.50
for the dial-in number which includes the e911 fee.  When you include
our incoming and outgoing calls, we pay about $10 month for the home
phone.

The hardware is simple. A small $35 Linksys PAP2 or PAP2T box is
connected via an ethernet switch to our TWC modem, and the phone jack
is connected to a cordless phone base station.  That's it, no messing
with firewalls, computers, etc.  Very high Wife Acceptance Factor
(WAF).

This has worked so well, I have helped 3 friends deploy the same setup
at their homes.

Bill