[TriLUG] image of hard drive question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Dec 21 08:50:12 EST 2012

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, James Jones wrote:

> Plus if any of the purchased software on the hard drive can tell the
> difference and fail to run?

I don't know for sure, but think it unlikely. I've heard
that Win7 does checks on the hardware to test if it's been
moved (eg you put a image copy onto another machine). I
believe that this is weighted with the MAC address getting
the most weight. Since disks die, I don't expect Win7 cares
too much about which disk is in there. Each disk has an ID
(can see with fdisk) which is in the mbr. If you do a dd
copy of the whole disk, you'll take the ID with you.

I don't think winxp does any hardware checks

Joe