[TriLUG] Television & RF interference -- yes computer related -- I think

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Thu Mar 7 04:26:30 EST 2013

Joe,

***** I'm confused. There are monitors on the cameras and a Mac
Monitor, which I assume is monitoring the recording. And there's a
whole pile of stuff that I don't know about.

It is unfortunate that the word monitor has more than one meaning. In
the church's setup, each camera has the usual display on it, In the
video production room, there are displays for each input to the video
switcher. I believe they have two cameras, so in the production room
are two displays that show what each camera is capturing. The output
of the video switcher also has a display that shows what is being sent
to a digital recorder ( tape ) and also to the input to the MAC
computer ( Firewire ).

After finally getting around to transferring my notes to a block
drawing ( see attached pdf ), it appears that the digital video tape
recorder is being used not only to record the video ( as backup ), it
is being used as a video to firewire converter to pipe the video to
the mac computer. They use the mac to create a dvd to send to the
Television station.

To me the VTR may be the culprit and/or reception point for the beat pattern.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated. As a side note, their cabling
is more of a rat's nest and it looks like I get to help them organize
it.

Thanks again for all the comments.

jcj
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, James Jones wrote:
>
>> J. Mack -- During the live event, the Mac Monitor showed the beat
>> pattern and it was present in the recording as well. The monitors for
>> the individual cameras didn't show it ( according to producer of the
>> video ).
>

> I'm confused. There are monitors on the cameras and a Mac Monitor, which I
> assume is monitoring the recording. And there's a whole pile of stuff that I
> don't know about.
>

>> Does anyone make  filters for ac power? Would an Uninterruptible Power
>> system have enough RFI/TVI filtering to help?
>

> The filters on UPSs are designed for hash and spikes on the AC (all would be
> under 10kHz I'd guess). I doubt if RFI filtering is thought about or
> measured.
>

> Joe

> jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
> generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
> Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!
> --
> This message was sent to: jc jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com>