[TriLUG] Mouse not working with 3.12 kernel

Dwain Sims dsims at bayleafnc.org
Mon Nov 25 22:02:23 EST 2013

Sean:

The later kernels are having all kinds of troubles with Mice in general.
 It's hard to believe in 2013 something so simple got so broken.

I just bought a new Gigabyte motherboard (GA-990FXA-UD3) and I could not
get a single mouse to work with CentOS 6 or Fedora 18 (however, CentOS 5
was having no issue.  I did not try a Debian variant.)

 - until I found a tidbit that seems to be working for me.

There is a BIOS setting called

IOMMU Controller

that is disabled by default.  Once I enabled this I had happy mice again.

I also saw a similar option for the kernel:

iommu=soft

that is supposed to do something similar.

I think this is somewhat related to USB 3.0 - if your system supports USB
3.0 it throws the kernel into all kinds of fits with mice.  Even PS2
connected mice would not work on my system.

Sigh.

But happy again now.

Dwain