[TriLUG] laptop shopping

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Feb 5 16:45:08 EST 2014

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 00:02:16 -0500 (EST)
William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:

> Any recommendations for a laptop that has suspend-to-disk (hibernate
> to disk) and Just Works (TM)?  I used to love the feature on my old
> Sony Vaio PCG-505GX, but it's been out of date for a decade, and my
> current MacBookPro (which doesn't have it) is showing signs of
> advanced age.
>
> Preferences:
> 1. small-ish (17" is too big... 12"-14" would be nice)
> 2. supports suspend-to-disk under Linux

Hi William,

How would one deduce whether their computer supports suspend-to-disk
under Linux? How would I know whether my computer was suspended to disk?

By the way, on my HP Pavillion notebook under Ubuntu (13.10 now, other
versions earlier), I've had problems that once I close the cover, when I
reopen it, I get a black screen and there's not much I can do to get it
to fire up again without rebooting. Anyone know of a magic key sequence?

SteveT