[TriLUG] laptop shopping

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Feb 5 19:11:11 EST 2014

I'm kind of looking for the same answer :-)

My old Sony Vaio PCG-505GX did it through hardware (specific function key
on the keyboard which activated a BIOS routine which took a snapshot of
everything and wrote it to a specially sized and specially formatted
partition on the hard drive).  There was documentation, at least at the
time, that gave the exact calculation for sizing the partition and the
specific code to use in fdisk.  It worked flawlessly under both Windows
and Linux.  Unfortunately, the hardware was an Intel PII 266 with 32 MB
RAM and a 2.1 GB (upgraded to 6.4 GB) hard drive.  I doubt there's any
hope of saving that...

William Sutton