[TriLUG] Radio Shack: was Old Dog In Need of New Trick - Digital TV Recording

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 17:28:17 EST 2014

Steve,

Thanks for the shout out on the Shack. I love to pound them because they changed their 1970's model. So maybe we can bring in Jimmy Paige and John Travolta for the next commercial. They have abandoned their Maker Model of business and they have failed at all the other business models. If they would return to the Maker Model, I would be their biggest fan. Remember the 100 in 1 electronics kits? So if their plan is to find a new niche in Maker Land. I am on board.

The best Radio Shack I went to in the past 20 years was in a small town in Missouri and it was half Lawn Mower shop and half Radio Shack. They had parts and tools to make things and very little else. You could actually find what you needed to fix and or build things. What a concept?

They will continue to be Radio Slack until they embrace their roots. What I find amazing is the web presence of maker sites has blown right past them as they tried to compete in a market that Walmart, Verizon stores and Best buy owned. It was an epic fail. Yet the niche maker websites are exploding.

I have no sympathy for their failures, but I am rooting for this change to be a move to their roots, but I am not holding my breath.

I went to Fry's in the Atlanta area last summer and decided they had alot of components for good prices, but they were also on the consumer electronics Band Wagon, but had competitive pricing to other big box stores. I did have to show a receipt for a $3.42 purchase. Quite ridicules. I would love to have Fry's here in Raleigh. Where else can you buy an oscilloscope in desperation `,~)

John Vaughters