[TriLUG] Hit me with your best shot

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Thu Mar 13 12:20:46 EDT 2014

Would you accept this for your challenge:

http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpk49

USB Midi, class compliant so most Windows and Mac machines would connect
with no extra drivers needed.

In crouton it works, with jackd2, I can get low latency soft synth
response.  Only issue is crouton wants to load /dev/snd/seq with the wrong
permissions and that messes up a2jmidi so I had to edit rc.local to tweak
that on crouton start.

In chromeos though it is a no go for now.  But the have USB midi in the
development branch for chromeos so soon the same tool would work in say
audiotool in chromeos.

SIde note, when I use that keyboard with my ipad i need a powered USB in
play as the ipad does not have the juice. But the chromebook powered it
just fine.  No idea on hit for battery life.

Is that a good non typical usb peripheral.  I also have a USB audio
interface I am yet to try with the device if you want tonight or tomorrow
night I can see if that works. Maybe do a realtime guitar fx example?

Ken