[TriLUG] "What Everyone Gets Wrong in the Debate Over Net Neutrality"

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 16:03:04 EDT 2014

On 06/25/2014 03:19 PM, Sean Alexandre wrote:
>  From wired.com:
>
> What Everyone Gets Wrong in the Debate Over Net Neutrality
> http://www.wired.com/2014/06/net_neutrality_missing/
>
> TL;DR The issue is not so much "fast lanes" because those already exist in the
> form of peering agreements and CDNs. The issue is that access to the home has
> been monopolized.
>
> "If Comcast’s last-mile of cable connection was available to all competitors
> under the same terms that gave dial-up service providers access to all copper
> telephone networks back in the 1990s, we would have more ISPs in more
> geographical areas. Consumers could simply switch providers whenever Netflix or
> YouTube started to get choppy. And that would give Netflix and YouTube more
> leverage in their deals with the ISPs. At the moment, this option—where ISPs
> are treated as 'common carriers'—is on the table, but it seems like a remote
> possibility. Maybe it shouldn’t be. Instead of railing against fast lanes, we
> should be pushing Washington to explore ideas like this that could actually
> promote competition among ISPs."

Did you read the replies? Wow! A heated debate for sure ...especially
the last reply on the first page. I use HughesNet, since I live in the
toolies. My connect to the satellite to the ground stations is fine.
 From the ground station to the Internet, and all the way back to me is
slower than my old 56k modem. I have to wonder if someone is throttling
down Hughes? Or, they are just way oversold? :) Ric