[TriLUG] Web server Research question

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Sun Jul 6 23:33:52 EDT 2014

Good Morning, All.

I have a question that I have been trying to research lately, and not
having any success.

Has anybody ever encountered, or accomplished, a web server being able
to force a browser to ask where a file is to be saved.

I always tell Firefox that I want to be asked, in its settings, but the
default is to just automatically save files "somewhere."  Some ( a lot
of ) people have no idea where that somewhere is, and so the file is
lost.

I want to force the user to choose where to put a file.

Has anybody found any HTTP, or other, way to do this?

Thanks,
Brian