[TriLUG] Sharing WiFi through Ethernet

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Sat Aug 16 13:08:41 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 11:46:54AM -0400, Kevin Hunter Kesling wrote:
> At 11:21am -0400 Sat, 16 Aug 2014, Joseph Mack Na3t wrote:
> >On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, Kevin Hunter Kesling wrote:
> >>   $ sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o wlan0 -j ACCEPT
> >
> >I thought about this too, and this is the sort of setup I have. You have
> >this sort of setup if further down the chain you have DENY for the
> >FORWARD chain. But Brian posted yesterday afternoon, the output of
> >iptables -L -n, which showed that FORWARD was all ACCEPT
>
> Mea culpa; you're right.  Long week/tired eyes.

I didn't even have that excuse.

I have been fighting this for about a week, off and on, searching the
interweb and trying all sorts of solutions, before coming to the
"Oracle," here, on Thursday night.

I am very pleased to report to the group, and thank you all for your
help, and say that I have finally got things working as they should.

Joe Mack and I spent some off-group time over night re-tracing steps,
and we finally found the iptables command that I must have got wrong at
some point.

We would also like to report that "iptables -n -t nat -L" shows no
difference between:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
and
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

I also promise to document this solution so that I won't have this
problem the next time I go travelling.

Brian