[TriLUG] Can't Mount Remote Without Getting Locked Folder

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 25 15:57:56 EDT 2014

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Grawburg wrote:

> I occasionally bring my laptop to work (I'm the administrator so I can do
> anything) and can mount a remount NAS from the terminal window. I can see
> everything and can open everything....but I cannot save or write to the folder
> because it has a locked icon on it. I've spent several hours trying many
> options to no avail.  Can someone help?
>
> Here's the line a type to mount the drive:
> mount -t cifs /192.168.1.111/Public /home/brian/MyBookMNT

I use cifs on open wrt on a range of boxes and I mount the local NAS (which is
actually a Linux box running Samba) with cifs. Sometimes I can write and
sometimes I can't, in which case I try nfs. I've always got one or other to
work.

I do this from the command line and get some error that when you go on-line has
been fixed a long time ago, but people keep posting that they still have  it.

I've just accepted that cifs, at least Linux-to-Linux, won't always work.

Joe