[TriLUG] Linux Virtualization - Shared filesystems.

John Dulaney jdulaney at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 26 12:34:22 EDT 2014

> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:48:20 -0400
> From: Matt Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com>
>
> Triluger?s
>

> For virtualization I?ve mostly used VMware with VMFS as that?s the 800lb gorilla and most companies won?t think of using something else in production. I have used Xen and Xensource, but only with local disks or NFS. I now find myself being able to deploy KVM, Xen/Xensource/Citrix, etc. But we want to reuse our existing Fiber Channel san for shared storage. This brings me to the question of what people are using that?s equivalent to VMFS, for shared Linux Virtualization file storage? GFS2? OCFS2? I?ve heard GFS2 clusters are a nightmare to maintain, but that was a couple of years ago and things could have changed. I could build a NFS head off my SAN, but I was trying to avoid that.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Matt P.

GFS2 is pretty simple to admin these days.  That would be my choice for scalability and
stability.

For virt, I would go with kvm and ovirt.  If you want support, Red Hat commercializes ovirt
as RHEV.  It's also fairly straight forward to set up and is feature par with VMWare.

If you need help with setting either of these up, let me know.

Thanks much,
John