[TriLUG] Linux Virtualization - Shared filesystems.

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 14:26:03 EDT 2014

On 09/26/2014 12:34 PM, John Dulaney wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:48:20 -0400
>> From: Matt Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com>
>>
>> Triluger?s
>>

>> For virtualization I?ve mostly used VMware with VMFS as that?s the 800lb gorilla and most companies won?t think of using something else in production. I have used Xen and Xensource, but only with local disks or NFS. I now find myself being able to deploy KVM, Xen/Xensource/Citrix, etc. But we want to reuse our existing Fiber Channel san for shared storage. This brings me to the question of what people are using that?s equivalent to VMFS, for shared Linux Virtualization file storage? GFS2? OCFS2? I?ve heard GFS2 clusters are a nightmare to maintain, but that was a couple of years ago and things could have changed. I could build a NFS head off my SAN, but I was trying to avoid that.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt P.
>>

> GFS2 is pretty simple to admin these days.  That would be my choice for scalability and
> stability.
>
> For virt, I would go with kvm and ovirt.  If you want support, Red Hat commercializes ovirt
> as RHEV.  It's also fairly straight forward to set up and is feature par with VMWare.

You might want to check out Proxmox to set up a full blown VM'ing
cluster. The install is a breeze. There are several YouTube videos that
demo it's use. I install Turnkey Linux packages to it, all
pre-configured, install from a drop-down install menu so there is
support within proxmox for Turnkey,  and click-ready to install. It's
relatively simple. I like it! Ric

Linux user# 44256