[TriLUG] How to prevent? "fsck died with exit status 4"

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Mon Sep 29 11:48:06 EDT 2014

Sure thing.  I need to confirm if it is the old location or the new
location for this Friday.

Oh the Ableton Clone I could not think of is Luppp.  It is still very early
stages and really functions more as an on the fly live looper than a
composition tool.

Also I failed to mention Rosegarden.  I consider Rosegarden and Qtractor
kind of on the same page.  Rosegarden handles DSSI really well IMO.  I just
tend to like the interface of Qtractor better.

Truth be told I have been doing more composition type stuff on the Ipad.  I
grabbed the Korg Gadget app at the release discount price and it is so
immediate it is hard to deny the value for the discount price.  But I loath
myself for more money spent in the appstore, even in the name of Korg...

The sad thing is I do so little composition these days.  I wish I had more
time but I spend most of my serious music time with Linux creating answers
for the must do work.  So that typically involves preparing samples, doing
conversions, and prepping live synth scenes for use on stage to play cover
tunes.  Not exactly the most exciting musical work.  I got rid of my
firepod because I realized I was tired of recording bands at my house and
in general don't want to record other people anymore.

If you do go with Mint to try the kxstudio repos use the Ubuntu based one
not the debian based one.  The debian one is based on Testing and kx studio
does not claim that they work correctly with any other debian release than
stable.  Even though they claim to work with the current ubuntu release.
It probably will work, just giving a heads up.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/

The beauty of KXstudio is Claudia and in general their other KX only apps
for managing Ladish sessions.  You can basically build presetup studios on
the fly for your needs.  It is truly the way to fly with linux audio if you
prefer a modular approach.  Oh and I will also mention that unless you have
a specific compatibility issue that it won't work for definitely got for
Jack 2 over Jack 1.  Kx studio I think to defaults to that so if you start
with a base distro make sure you remove jack before enabling the kx repos
if jack is already on there.  Also pulse audio should definitely go.
Nothing against it for modern systems for the average end user, but for
audio production it just gets in the way.  Even though kx studio has sorted
out bridges for it it is not worth the headache.

I will say when it comes to quick composition tools I think the top two on
linux right now would be Lmms or Renoise.  They are just quick and easy to
use.  Come with plenty of sounds out the gate and are awesome.  Sunvox is a
tracker like renoise but I find it is not a good composition tool.  What is
cool about it though is the modular sound design setup.  It makes for a
much simpler way to do modular sound design.  Granted it does not go as far
as Alsa Modular but it is a lot easier to use.

For live performance of electronic music I would definitely say the base of
that should be Mixxx.  It is solid DJ software and then you can add
samplers and synths to augment for a live feel.  I hope to one day get back
into making music.  I have been playing with some fusion ideas on the korg
gadget app.  Its immediacy plus a very solid sound palette is nice.  And
here we get into one of the big things I will mention if you look at any
trackers is to download the existing libraries out there of XI files.

Anytime you want to get together and talk shop on this I am game.  Also I
will mention there are some great minds at linuxmusicians.org.  I don't go
on there much anymore but they were the ones that first convinced me what
could be done with Arch and music.  My arch headache was keeping track of
updates that could break things and that is why I elected to go back to
debian stable.

Ken