[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations (fwd)

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Mon Oct 20 11:42:34 EDT 2014

You are basically hitting on the TDI vs Hybrid equation.  If you do more
highway driving then the MPG advantage goes to the TDI, more local then it
goes to the hybrid.

Hybrids benefit from the stop and go of local driving.  Diesels benefit
from the open road cruising of the highway.  Most Prius owners can tell you
about highway mileage being less than city mileage.

I am going to mention though another part of the diesel equation though.
Diesel motors tend to last.  Most TDI owners report 200-300k easy without
any major engine issues if not more.  Hybrids have the combination issue of
2 motors to worry about and the overall battery life/charge cycles.  I
think the prius is probably the best game in the hybrid market, but if you
plan to keep the car a long time and will do more highway driving then the
TDI comes out ahead.

Local driving I hear most VW TDI's average about mid 30's though.

Ken