[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations (fwd)

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Mon Oct 20 12:34:22 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 01:21:20PM -0400, Ken MacKenzie wrote:
> Echoing the Honda Fit comment, I know an owner that loves it.  Also VW TDI
> models (Golf, Beetle, and Jetta).  It seems you like smaller imports.  I
> will throw Hyundai in the mix.  I currently own a 2012 Elantra Touring and
> it is awesome.  The touring is kind of a weird euro cross over model with
> the old beta engine.  However new Hyundais have the Theta engine which is
> more efficient fuel wise and is a timing chain engine which is better for
> long term service intervals.  Hyundai is a much better company than they
> used to be.  Kia I am a little skeptical of.

Speaking of Elantras.

I took the Nissan Versa back to the rental people over the weekend -- it
hadn't had a clock or radio since early in the week, and on Friday I
noticed that the high brake light was just hanging loose -- and they
offered me an Elantra in its place.

I drove it off the lot and over to work.  When I tried to get out, I
almost broke my neck on the door frame.  It seems that I sit high in
that car, and the top edge of the door was just around the top of my
ears.

That one came right off my "possible" list.

Brian