[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Mon Oct 20 12:43:51 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:30:19AM -0400, C TC wrote:
> Great replies here. I forgot to mention a couple of things regards to Honda.
>
> Note that the following (long) opinion is based on having owned dozens of
> vehicles,
> from 60's "rods", to a car from every USA manufacturer, except Pontiac.
> Although
> a GTO would round out my fetish nicely. As well owning a few Toyotas,
> Hondas, and
> Subarus.

I'm not sure that I am in the "dozens" category, but I have had several.

Once I have one, I tend to stay with it for a while.  This last one was
almost 13 years, a couple of months under, and around 225k.

> Before buying my new CRV, I test drove:
>
> Subaru - Impreza & Forester. Came close on the Impreza, but costs and the
> fact that the cars were loud inside did not impress.
> Ford Focus - These are great little vehicles. Fun to drive, good mileage,
> but was surprisingly uncomfortable.
> Scion TC - Too small for me
> Honda Fit - Awesome vehicle. Once I looked at adding options, I could
> afford the CRV
> Ford Escape - Nice vehicle. Interior was not to my liking; nor was the
> overall rating at the time.
> Nissan Rogue - This was as close to my CRV as could be. Nice price, great
> included base items, comfy.
> Honda Accord (4 cyl & the v6) - I could see these cars lasting 30 years. If
> Honda would put the v6 in a CRV, they would corner
>  a new market.

Some good thoughts there.

I have tried low-end models of the Civic, the Golf "Launch Edition," a
Yaris and the Prius C.  I thought that I would never go back to the
Prius after they got so big, but the C made me wonder.  Of course,
since Consumer Reports isn't too happy with it, that is also a
consideration.

I have always been a fan of "appropriate" vehicles, and since there is
only one, and sometimes two, in my car, I tend to look for something
small and fuel efficient.

> Sorry for the long post ... I have the day off. Good luck with your car
> purchase.

Thank you.  It is becoming a real "project."

Brian