[TriLUG] Meeting 13 November: The State of Open Source Bookkeeping

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Mon Oct 20 14:00:24 EDT 2014

Topic: The State of Open Source Bookkeeping
Presenter: Eric Leary
When: Thursday, 13th November 2014, 7pm (pizza from 6.45pm)
Where: NC State Engineering Building I Room 1007, Centennial Campus
Parking: The parking decks and Oval Drive street parking are free after 5pm
Map: Google Maps
Sponsor:Apex Systems

Synopsis:
=========
The domain of financial record keeping could greatly benefit from new
open source projects that provide accounting software solutions for
the small to medium enterprise. The current offerings don't fulfill
contemporary requirements, are often buggy and moribund in the
maintenance of the code base, or are intractable to implement without
extensive commitment from third party developers.

Quickbooks Online and Xero accounting will be held up as
representative targets from the commercial world that the open source
community should pursue with competitive products and frameworks. The
talk will delve into GnuCash and other open source offerings, showing
their strengths and weaknesses in today's world.

Bio:
=========
Eric is not an accountant, he is a bookkeeper. He has been using
Quickbooks for over 17 years in a wide range of industries, but he is
drawn to Python and Open Source for some strange reason. I think he
would prefer to give it all up and go back to theater set design, but
such is life.

Sponsor:
=========
Apex Systems, an On Assignment company (NYSE: ASGN), provides
organizations with scalable IT staffing solutions to address critical
gaps in their current workforce and augment workforce management
strategies. We specialize in providing IT professionals for contract,
contract-to-hire, direct placement, and managed solutions to clients
in Fortune 500, mid-market, and emerging companies. Our specialized
technology and industry practice groups help us match the most
talented and qualified technical professionals to great companies
across the country. Apex was named to Inavero’s Best of StaffingTM
Client lists in 2012 and 2013.

Apex and On Assignment combine to be the 2nd largest IT staffing and
services firm in the U.S.

Visit http://www.apexsystemsinc.com to learn more about Apex. To view
our current job openings and join our Talent Network, visit
http://itcareers.apexsystemsinc.com.