[TriLUG] n00b puppet question

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Fri Oct 24 16:08:04 EDT 2014

Yes that should work. Basically, you'd have:

manifests/foo.pp

    node foo {
        class {'mymodule': }
    }

modules/mymodule/manifests/init.pp

    class mymodule {
        # All the postgres stuff
    }

I think you might be putting your code in modules/mymodule/init.pp but you
should do modules/mymodule/MANIFESTS/init.pp (lower case; I added upper
case just for emphasis).

Note that you can always run this puppet without puppet master. This is my
preferred method since dealing with the certs is a pain. Instead, I end up
creating a tar file with all the manifests, sftp-ing it to the server, then
running the manifests like this: `sudo puppet apply
--modulepath=puppet/modules puppet/manifests/foo.pp`. This way I don't have
to name hosts in manifests/foo.pp or manifests/bar.pp: they just end up
being "node default {...".

Igor