[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Oct 25 11:02:52 EDT 2014

I would say tires are more important than AWD in most cases. The thing is that AWD/4WD helps you ace more traction as you accelerate and can prevent under steering, but it does not help you stop. I used to drive a '95 Camry in Massachusetts and would routinely get out of spots where pickup trucks would get stuck because of decent tires. Don't get me wrong, a car with AWD and winter tires is better than either one of those things, but if you already have a FWD car, good tires are a cheap upgrade relative to replacing the vehicle.

Another note: driving in the snow is not as difficult as last winter's pictures of Atlanta made it out to be. You go slow, don't jam the breaks, and try to avoid snow banks. Good equipment helps, but the driver makes the ultimate difference.

Igor