[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 16:07:25 EDT 2014

On 10/25/2014 11:02 AM, Igor Partola wrote:
> I would say tires are more important than AWD in most cases. The
> thing is that AWD/4WD helps you ace more traction as you accelerate
> and can prevent under steering, but it does not help you stop. I used
> to drive a '95 Camry in Massachusetts and would routinely get out of
> spots where pickup trucks would get stuck because of decent tires.
> Don't get me wrong, a car with AWD and winter tires is better than
> either one of those things, but if you already have a FWD car, good
> tires are a cheap upgrade relative to replacing the vehicle.
>
> Another note: driving in the snow is not as difficult as last
> winter's pictures of Atlanta made it out to be. You go slow, don't
> jam the breaks, and try to avoid snow banks. Good equipment helps,
> but the driver makes the ultimate difference.

An over-confident driver with AWD or 4WD is dangerous as merry hell. As
I mentioned in my last post, I'll take front-wheel drive with proper
tires for the conditions ON A ROAD, any day. If I want to go stump
jumping, 4WD or AWD would be better, IMHO. BASF sent me all over the
country for years, followed by Diversey (Molson Breweries of Canada) and
Sysco Foods. Not once did I have to be pulled from a ditch, while I
noted the 4WD being pulled out by the wreckers. I've seen Winter
white-out so thick that lightning leaped sideways through it! And, I was
driving in it. <grins> Ric

Linux user# 44256