[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 15:56:04 EDT 2014

On 10/25/2014 10:46 AM, William Sutton wrote:
> yeah..  just remember that studded tire drive (or 4WD or AWD) != studded
> tire stop (or 4WD or AWD) in icy conditions...

Heh, I was stationed in Helena Montana, covering the entire state in my
job. Montana has three seasons, July, August and Winter. So, the
majority of my driving was in Winter conditions and often it would me my
tire tracks that were the first, when snow covered both sides of the
highway. I knew the road was somewhere in the middle, but not quite, of
the tree lines! Front wheel drive with 4 studded snows was optimum.

The problem with 4wh drive is when the front tires slide and lose
steering grip, the back tires will merrily push you straight into a
ditch, before you can regain control. With just front-wheel drive, the
front tires not only pull but pull in the direction you want to go. The
rear wheels just follow, only holding up the back end of the car.

The trick is to speed slightly up in the curves, and slow down just
enough in the straightaway to leave room, for the speedup again, in the
next curve. Nothing sudden, as the laws of physics can be your worst
enemy when you get stupid. No speed limit was nice during July and
Autumn! :) Ric

Linux user# 44256