[TriLUG] Virtual Box Fixed

Grawburg grawburg at myglnc.com
Wed Oct 29 12:43:13 EDT 2014

Pete, I needed three specific programs in Windows: Lotus SmartSuite, Quickbooks, and Fritzing. (The Linux version has given me problems.)

When I installed Lotus I specifically did not select what I thought were the only options that ran in the background. I was wrong, there were two.
I deleted them from Start-up and VB began working. (We use Lotus Approach here at the museum and I have a couple of older WordPro files...still
the best word processing program!)

Then I installed Quickbooks 2011. Did not check Start-up. When I rebooted VB the issue reappeared. So rebooting in Safe Mode I checked
Start-up and there were two QB programs. Dumped them and things are fine.

I'm running XP Pro with only Service Pack 2.  Virtual Box 4.1.18_Debian.  I did install the newer version 4.3 ??, but took it off thinking it
was the cause of my problem. I see no reason, at this point, to upgrade unless I have problems.

I decided to keep the WinXP PC I was using just for Quickbooks and so have a KVM switch which works great.  I use Fritzing in VB on
Debian 7, 64-bit machine, not on the Windows machine. I avoid using Windows just out of spite :-).

When I'm fully satisfied that QB works fine in Virtual Box I may do away with the KVM switch. Right now I'm just testing it.