[TriLUG] Developer environment for starting programmer

Paul Bennett paul.w.bennett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 11:11:31 EST 2014

Vim is probably installed on any *nix system, so I'd say learn at
least how to get in and out of Insert mode, how to ":set paste" and
":set number", and how to save and/or exit.

For a better IDE, I can't say enough good things about Sublime Text.
Plugins for almost everything, and productivity tools that'll blow
your mind.

As far as editing remote files, I say "git" is your friend, and there
are a plethora of tools for ST for it. May also want to look as sshfs
as a way to get files from one place to another. I hate to say it, but
CIFS works well as well, if you want the experience of browsing a
network and connecting to drives and whatnot.

For WYSIWIG editing, I recommend Chrome with the Live Reload plugin
(and the Live Reload plugin for ST).

For SQL, I haven't found a good connector for Sublime Text (yet) but
MySQL's own GUI is pretty good.

--
Paul W Bennett