[TriLUG] Experiments with alternative init systems

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Dec 28 21:38:18 EST 2014

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:54:39 -0500 (EST)
William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:

> I've started in on Steve's article.  One minor quibble so far.  I
> learned to drive on a manual transmission.  An awful lot of people
> have.  It's not really that hard to learn on, and suggesting that it
> is perpetuates stereotypes about manual transmissions.

Thanks William,

If I get much more feedback like yours, I'll change the analogy.

Did you learn out in the country as opposed to in the city, and was it
hilly where you learned?

By the way, the first car I actually *owned* (1959 Plymouth Savoy) was
a manual transmission (3 on the tree). My current car (2012 Jeep
Patriot) is a manual transmission (5 speed). I just assumed that
learning to drive on a manual transmission would have been difficult
because it was difficult to learn to steer, brake, and gas when I
learned to drive. A couple years later, having mastered driving
reasonably well, when I learned manual, the gas/clutch coordination was
difficult, and I just assumed it would have been a disaster if I
learned them both at once.

Thanks,

SteveT