[TriLUG] Experiments with alternative init systems

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Sun Dec 28 22:30:32 EST 2014

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 21:38:18 -0500, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> learned to drive. A couple years later, having mastered driving
> reasonably well, when I learned manual, the gas/clutch coordination was
> difficult, and I just assumed it would have been a disaster if I
> learned them both at once.

Difficult only when taught wrong, IMHO. It's best to teach about the
"clutch point" (the spot in its travel where the clutch grabs) separately
 from driving. The beginner should not learn, "Let the clutch up slowly,"
but instead, "As soon as something seems different, press the clutch back
down again." The lessons should be in a level parking lot and (as the
student gains confidence) on a slight slope in a parking lot.

It's also best to be using a brand-new car, so the damage to the clutch is
covered under warranty.