[TriLUG] Experiments with alternative init systems

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sun Dec 28 23:35:05 EST 2014

I learned in a semi-rural area (we had farms, yes, but mostly
neighborhoods and small businesses).  Most of the time I had the luxury of
learning on flat-ish surfaces, but I had one very memorable hill
experience.

I had gone (mother in tow since I was just 15 and had to have an adult
along) in my father's MG Midget to the local town council meeting for my
Boy Scout Citizenship in the Community merit badge requirements, and the
only available parking space was pointed up a moderately steep hill (it
felt like 45 degrees, was probably closer to 20).  Between when I parked
and when we came back for the car, someone parked behind me.

We came out, got in the car, turned it on, and then I had a predicament...
release the break, hit the clutch, shift into first, release the clutch,
and feather the gas, all without backsliding into someone else's car.  You
can imagine with what nervous anticipation I tried doing all three things
at once.  Unfortunately, doing all of those at once kills the engine,
which I did 2 or 3 times, before I got it into gear and shot uphill at a
terrific rate of speed...and almost into traffic at the top of the hill.

I haven't had that particular pleasure much, and wouldn't care to try
again right at the moment (it has been a long time since I drove a manual
on a regular basis).

Of course, that evening when I told my father, his response was a verbal
shrug of the shoulders and a remark that that was nothing compared to
trying to parallel park a manual transmission car on a hill in Tennessee.

--

Since the below email, I've read all of your article.  I'm curious how
easily, or badly, that init and RC replacement would go on RHEL 7.  Then

William Sutton