[TriLUG] best encryption solution for encrypting source control?

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Thu Feb 5 12:53:12 EST 2015

Tim,

What source control system is this? SVN, CVS, git, something else? How is
it accessed? HTTP? NFS/Samba? ssh? Telnet?

Here's the industry standard way of doing this:

Use git (SVN and CVS should not be used for new projects), and access it
over ssh using public keys, not passwords. Any host with a read-write
filesystem and sshd running is a "git server":

my-host.example.com ~ $ mkdir my-project && cd my-project && git init --bare

laptop ~/my-project/ $ git set origin my-host.example.com:
/home/igor/my-project
laptop ~/my-project/ $ git push -u origin master

If you are sharing this repo with others, you may want to use GitLab
(self-hosted), GitHub, or BitBucket. There would be very little reason not
to use one of these services, and a lot of upside: automated backups,
working and secure authentication and authorization, etc.

What you are trying to do (encrypting files on disk), is not going to solve
your problem, but is going to introduce more problems.

Best of luck,
Igor