[TriLUG] best encryption solution for encrypting source control?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 18:48:57 EST 2015

Thank you Michael and every one else who responded. Good advice.
I settled on this approach.
1. Only the subversion group has access to to the svn repos folder.
2. Files I generally want to be encrypted I put into encryptfs folder. E.g.
people's W9's and other financial info. Yes, they go into svn unencrypted;
so, security is only as secure as svn and Linux groups.
3. Files I really want to be safe such as bank account info I will gpg
encrypt. Maybe I'd better include W9's etc in this group too.
My main goal is if a cracker gets a login into my system that he/she
doesn't expose financial data. I *think* with the above I am safer than
many Fortune 500 companies. :-)  The hole seems to be either the cracker
can crack my password, has a crack program against the encryption, or gets
root and installs some trojan horse. I guess physical access is another
huge security hole. I think only #3 has any hope there.
Call me simple, but I still prefer svn over git. ;-)
What I have seen in most places I have been is that once a cracker
compromises a particular user's Windows account, then he/she can access
company private information quite easily. At least with GPG I will avert
that.
Cheers,
Tim
Reference:
Ubuntu: setup "Private" encrypted folder:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory
encryptfs on other folders (e.g. on my raid):
http://housegeekatheart.blogspot.com/2011/08/protecting-your-files-in-ubuntu-linux.html
gpg to encrypt a file:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-how-to-encrypt-and-decrypt-files-with-a-password.html