[TriLUG] Printer/scanner recommendations

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Thu Feb 5 13:11:45 EST 2015

There have been a lot of news reports of building contractors, carpet
cleaners, restaurants, etc., actually suing (case in point, Hadeed carpet
cleaners in Virginia).  If you have resources to fight litigation, go
ahead and leave a nasty review.  Otherwise... as someone once said,
"silence is often the best answer."

Another case in point to illustrate this.  Several years ago (12?) I went
to interview with a web hosting company in the RDU area (names not
mentioned).  The owner had taken the entire staff out to lunch to
celebrate the company's anniversary.  They got back, 2 hours after my
interview was to have started.  In the meantime, I had been waiting in the
hot July sun in a full business suit.  I didn't get the job; it's probably
better that I didn't (after all, if they treat a potential employee that
way, how do they treat actual employees??).  A year or three after that,
the gentleman in question posted a job listing to the TriLUG list.  I had
two choices:  tell the world how badly he had treated me and advise them
to run for the hills, or keep silent and not risk legal action.  I kept
silent.  I'm still not going to reveal who it was.

We all get crapped on by corporate America, by small business America, by
individuals, by friends, by family, by enemies (and sometimes telling who
is who is itself difficult).  Usually, the best option is to go through
proper procedures to get the issue resolved.  When that's not possible,
being peacable usually is the better response.

One more story, to illustrate.  Many years ago (20-25), I knew a guy at my
church who was a WordPerfect salesman.  We were looking for a word
processor package, and knew that version 5.2 of WP was available.  I asked
him if any newer versions were coming out soon, and he replied that there
weren't.  So, I purchased a copy of 5.2.  A matter of a month or so later,
version 6.0 was released.  I was steamed.  I contacted WordPerfect
customer service and explained the situation.  They sent me, at no extra
cost, a full version of 6.0, and, later, the upgrade to 6.0a.  From then
on, I was a loyal WP user.

Final story.  I bought an HP LaserJet 4100N 15 years ago.  It's still
going, and has 98% of its toner left.  I've had to replace the motherboard
($300), and the JetDirect card (cost escapes my memory).  I paid $1300 for
it refurbished from PCConnection.  If you figure that I've spent $2000
total on it over 15 years (high), I've basically paid $133/year for this
printer.  It isn't multifunction, but it's one heck of a printer.  The
craptastic HP color InkJet and Scanner we got for a wedding present in
2007 stopped printing after < 1 year (but still scans).  YMMV.

William Sutton