[TriLUG] Items to give away

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Feb 11 15:59:59 EST 2015

The Diablo print wheel has the font characters on the side of the
outside of the wheel, facing the same direction as the wheel axle. This
Univac printer did not have a daisy wheel, it was unique. It had the
font on the outside edge of the wheel. Every character faced outward
such that a line from the center of the wheel coming out would point at
the middle of the spot it was going to print on the paper when the
hammer behind the paper struck.  I was using this thing at the same time
Diablo developed their printer (1972).
Here's a description of a similar unit, 'cept it's obviously more recent
as it offers paper tape instead of punched cards (that deserve a place
in history as the ideal fireplace starter):

https://archive.org/stream/bitsavers_univactermDCT500BrochureMay70_2657875/U5220_DCT_500_Brochure_May70_djvu.txt

-Pete