[TriLUG] Mailing list changes to mitigate DMARC rejections

Aaron Schrab via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 13 12:16:51 EST 2015

At 09:58 -0500 13 Feb 2015, Jack Hill via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>To work around this policy, I have configured mailman to re-write
>the From: header so that mail sent via the mailing list will not appear
>to come from a domain that implements DMARC, so DMARC signatures will not
>be checked and Yahoo users will again be able to receive our mail.

So now replying to only the person who sent the message will go from
somewhat difficult (thanks to the Reply-To: munging) to impossible in
some situations.  For instance in the message about having TVs for sale
(where it would be nice if interested people wouldn't need to mail the
entire list) the only occurrence of the seller's email address was in a
other types of messages that occasionally get sent to the list where it
can be even more important to be able to reply to just the sender.

A different strategy for avoiding this problem mentioned by the mailman
site was to not allow posts from Yahoo or AOL addresses.  I wonder if
that might be a better way to go, not breaking the list for everybody
else to accommodate a couple of email providers.