[TriLUG] Mailing list changes to mitigate DMARC rejections

Jack Hill via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 13 13:46:11 EST 2015

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Aaron Schrab via TriLUG wrote:

> So now replying to only the person who sent the message will go from
> somewhat difficult (thanks to the Reply-To: munging) to impossible in
> some situations.

Thanks for catching this. I have turned of Reply-To: munging off, so now both the original posters address and the list address appear in Reply-To:

> A different strategy for avoiding this problem mentioned by the mailman
> site was to not allow posts from Yahoo or AOL addresses.  I wonder if
> that might be a better way to go, not breaking the list for everybody
> else to accommodate a couple of email providers.

I don't find shutting people out to be a good solution (and as annoyed as I am about the Yahoo policy, dealing with spam is a real pain and I feel for them). Unfortunately, moving away from email is not realistic at this time. The other option that I do thing would be acceptable would be wrapping the original message as a MIME part of a new message from the list address. If I remember correctly, Brian successfully argued against this option when we were originally deciding which to use. Brian, can you elaborate on why this is better?

Please note that the primary purpose of the trilug@ list is to facilitate community discussion, not private replys. This is why Reply-To: munging was an acceptable thing to do before, and I believe that the current (now fixed!) setting is acceptable for the same reasons.

Best,
Jack