[TriLUG] Valentine's Middle Finger to HDCP

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Feb 15 14:19:26 EST 2015

I would like your help extending our collective middle fingers to the
content industry and the folks that put HDCP (and other DRM) on things.

I received my new Amazon Fire TV today.

It's fantastic...

...but it won't stream any videos because *it doesn't like my HDMI cable.*

This is the High-Speed, 22AWG, 25ft. HDMI 1.4 cable
<http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024001&p_id=3990&seq=1&format=2>
I've
been using for 18 months with my HTPC.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with it.

Any suggestions how to get around this nonsense?  Will Rooting the Fire TV
help?

-Wes
Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer