[TriLUG] LetsEncrypt.org - was: The sad state of sysadmin in the age of containers

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Mar 17 23:42:26 EDT 2015

This info seems badly communicated. From what I can tell, Let's Encrypt is going to run their own brand new CA, powered by open source code. While there is probably a chance that some browser vendor will decide not to include their cert in their trusted list, Let's Encrypt is sponsored by some pretty big names, such as Mozilla, Cisco, Akamai, etc. More importantly, it looks like some kind of voodoo will let it be trusted from day one because of "cross-signing with IdenTrust", one of the sponsors: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8640756

I wonder if In practice it just means that Let's Encrypt will be an intermediate cert for IdenTrust.

Igor