[TriLUG] Any other ISP's out there

Brian Weaver via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Mar 31 20:04:35 EDT 2015

Aaron,

I feel your pain. I'm out in your neck of the woods and I tried AT&T DSL
once. It just couldn't compete with TWC Road Runner. I've had Road Runner
for the last 16 years or so since I moved into my house. In all that time
I've had little to complain about technically. The worst problem I've had
is clueless technical support the dozen or so times I've call (As well as
one ID10T moment that was all my fault! I'm still feeling idiotic for that
one at it was a decade ago).

The most recent breakage was the mail problem another TriLUGer pointed out.
That only got fixed because someone with a clue inside TWC happens to be on
this list. The last frustrating issue was trying to connect to their online
bill pay site. I could connect to anywhere BUT their site. The online tech
wanted me to reboot my OS X system; I even tried it once to no avail. I
finally figured out that if I couldn't reach their site I had to power
cycle the cable modem. That's the only thing that ever fixed that
particular problem. Must have been a bad route issue internal to TWC.

So if you find any real competition out in the boondocks please share the
info. Service hasn't been bad for me, but I still feel like there's better
to be had. That'll be even more apparent when my friends in the city have
the option to tap into Google Fiber.  I'm also not real thrilled about
Comcast gobbling up TWC. I've heard even worse stories about Comcast.

- Brian

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Aaron Thomas via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> I begrudgingly have been using TWC residential for the last 8+ years as
> it is either them or Centurylink.
>
> For the most part I was satisfied with their service and it worked more
> times than not. Since they changed their network, which I first observed
> on 2015-03-16 as the public IP address went from 75.182.126.xxx to
> 45.37.13.XXX, in the guise of "network improvements" I keep seeing
> random disconnects and failures from the TWC to respond to my cable
> modem.
>
> It is beyond frustrating to deal with their technical support as the
> last guy wanted to change the wireless channels as in his experience
> channel 11 worked better. They always blame my equipment if for no other
> resason than I use linux. I have had more critical outages in the last 2
> weeks than in the last 8 years combined.
>
> Since google fiber will not be making it out this way , which is the
> 40/42 area of Johnston County, is anyone aware of any other ISP's that
> might be an option besides the two monopolies? Whatever happened to
> Wireless ISP's? I keep begging RST Fiber, but have yet to get an actual
> response from them.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron Thomas
>

> --