[TriLUG] dying disk with LBA error but no reallocated sectors

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 16 08:04:00 EDT 2015

Using smartmontools, occassionally I have to retire a disk with LBA error(s).
However quite often the disk doesn't have any reallocated sectors. I would have
thought that any errors on the disk surface would result in a reallocated sector
event, in which case there would be no LBA error, but instead a reallocated
sector event.

Why isn't an LBA error correctable by reallocating a sector?

Thanks Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml