[TriLUG] booting an external disk with grub 0.97

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Apr 21 13:24:06 EDT 2015

> that's the problem here. I'm teaching someone python.

I imagine you might also be scaring him off, if a simple python
lesson has morphed into a bootloader problem.  In his mind,
python is now this complicated beast that his super smart
friend can't even figure out.

> He only has the windows laptop he got for xmas.

You could also try VirtualBox.  Install the Windows version of
VirtualBox, install a plain Jane Linux image on that, and then
edit and run the python programs the same way you would
on a native Linux box (I am doing that on my Macbook --
ironically -- to teach a friend python).

If all of that failed, I'd think you could "punt" and just get a
Raspberry Pi for $35 and teach using that.

The question really comes down to this: do you want to boot
that particular disk, or do you just need a suitable teaching
environment?  How valuable is your class time?  How valuable
is your out-of-class setup time?

Alan