[TriLUG] booting an external disk with grub 0.97

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Apr 21 13:43:18 EDT 2015

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Alan Porter via TriLUG wrote:

> The question really comes down to this: do you want to boot
> that particular disk,

that has become the solution but wasn't my first choice.

> or do you just need a suitable teaching environment?

this is all I need.

Initially I tried booting the debian-live-gnome usb stick. It came up with a
windows like screen filled with applications that I couldn't care less about. I
eventually found an xterm. But it didn't have networking (no networking devices
exist) and I couldn't tell from the documentation how to get it.

I tried the debian-live-standard usb stick. It boots with networking (and no X),
but I couldn't figure out how to associate the wifi and there was no
documentation on doing so.

I tried doing a real install of debian onto one of my machines, but the
installation wouldn't complete the boot process.

I decided that learning debian was going to take longer than figuring out grub
and would have no pay-off for me, since I don't want to learn another
distribution. All I want is multiple xterms and vi. It occurs to me that a
debian expert would know what to do.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml